November 28th, 2019
MDI Joint Funding Scheme with Health Research Charities Ireland and the Health Research Board
MDI is excited to have recently announced a call for research proposals under the Health Research Charities Ireland and the Health Research Board Joint Funding Scheme. We have encouraged proposals for all types of research, including basic, clinical, psychosocial and health services research. Proposals relating to any of the neuromuscular conditions covered by MDI are eligible to apply. The initial application deadline was in November 2019. The shortlisting process is rigorous, involving MDI’s Research Committee and also international peer review. Once the shortlisting is completed, MDI will then submit up to three proposals to the Health Research Board in early April 2020 for its consideration. If we are successful, the selected project(s) will be funded jointly by MDI and the Health Research Board, beginning November 2020. The award will be for maximum total of €150,000 over three years.
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland is committed to supporting researchers and clinicians to carry out the best quality research into neuromuscular conditions. We aim to:
- Gain a greater understanding of neuromuscular conditions in order to develop potential treatments and ensure a route for clinical trials
- Support more studies into ultra-rare conditions
- Facilitate quality of life research.
Our research priorities are to:
- Optimise the potential of genetics in order to enhance our understanding of why people with the same condition are affected differently and, also, so that more people receive a confirmed genetic diagnosis, which will help us to better understand the conditions.
- Understand disease mechanisms
- Support treatment development
- Improve quality of life.
We hope to be announcing good news about our research applications later in the 2020.