Welcome to the MDI website. Content and updating of information is ongoing on our website, therefore if you cannot find what you are looking for please contact us.
Chairperson – Dr John Roche
Dr. John Roche
Current Position on Board
Current Position/Job Title
Senior Engineer, PUNCH Consulting Engineers (PCE), 2019 – date
Previous Position/Job Title
• Project Engineer, PCE, 2006 – 2019
• Senior Design Engineer, PCE, 2000 – 2006
• Engineer/Consultant, ESB International (ESBI), 1991 – 2000
Current Membership of any Boards/ Committees
• MDI Board
• Chair of Research Committee, MDI, 2017 – date
• Director, Independent Living Movement Ireland (ILMI), 2017 – date
Previous Membership of any Boards/ Committees
• MDI Board 13/05/2017 (AGM) – 12/09/2020 (AGM)
• Director, Greater Dublin Independent Living (GDIL), 2007 – 2019
• Academic Council, The Open Training College, 2002 – 2009
• ESB Joint Equality Council, 1998 – 2000
Why I want to be on the Board of Muscular Dystrophy Ireland
Having the lived experience of Muscular Dystrophy and availed of the great supports afforded by MDI to its members, it is with the same commitment, empathy, enthusiasm, passion and drive to make life better for others that I wish to continue to assist MDI in achieving the goals set out in its current Strategic Plan.
What I bring to the Board of Muscular Dystrophy Ireland as a Director
I have a deep understanding of the issues faced by MDI members on a day-to-day basis. I am a strong advocate for empowerment of people with disabilities through Personal Assistance to live independent lives of their own choosing. Over a period of 30 years involvement with MDI and 26 years as one of the original members of Ireland’s first Center for Independent Living I have served on 10 or more boards and committees in the disability/voluntary sectors in the areas of Independent Living, Transport, Education, Employment and Equality.
How I can help Muscular Dystrophy Ireland achieve its mission
Having served on the board of MDI for the last 3 years and as Chair for the last 2 years, I have been able to develop a very good understanding of the workings of the organisation and guide it through a time of significant change, with a member-centred focus.